Hlaudi Motsoeneng says all was well between SABC executives last week.
JOHANNESBURG – The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng says he doesn’t know why all controversies at the SABC are blamed on him when the public broadcaster is run by a team.
He says the team that makes decisions at the broadcaster including then acting CEO Jimi Matthews, who resigned this week.
In his resignation letter, Matthews apologised for his part in decisions made at the SABC, saying he can no longer be part of what is happening at the broadcaster.
But Motsoeneng says all was well between SABC executives last week and he’s demanding answers about what went wrong to lead to Matthews’s resignation.
“We were sitting together on Friday dealing with issues within the organisation, happy. But you ask yourself ‘what happened over the weekend? Who said what to who?’ Because we’re aware that there’s an agenda to destabilise this organisation.”
SABC IN CRISIS…WHAT CRISIS?
Meanwhile, SABC chairman Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe says the public broadcaster is not in crisis and insists Motsoeneng is doing a sterling job.
An urgent staff meeting took place at the SABC in Johannesburg this afternoon, where James Aguma was appointed as the corporation’s acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
He’s been appointed just a day after Matthews’s resignation and three senior reporters spoke out about their working conditions following a series of controversial policy decisions taken by Motsoeneng.
Maguvhe says the SABC is not in crisis and he has commended Motsoeneng for what he describes as “his sterling work”, in terms of securing the necessary funds in order for the public broadcaster to carry out its mandate.
The board chairperson says disciplinary processes will continue, if staff members do not adhere to the company’s policy.
He says people will come and go, and they are confident that whoever resigns can be replaced by competent individuals.