Candidate list wars continue!

1
164

THESE residents protested for most of the weekend against their candidate councillor of choice being prevented from taking part in the local government election.

The people of ward 93 in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, accused the ANC in the Western Cape of corruption in the candidate selection process.

They claimed they raised their concerns at the ANC’s offices in Cape Town last week, and were told the leaders would come back to them but nothing had happened.

The angry protesters burned tyres and blocked roads as they sang and danced in the streets. There was a heavy police presence.

Resident Ayanda Mase (31) told Daily Sun: “Thando Pimpi was chosen to run in our ward but he was removed and replaced without anyone consulting us.

“Not one of the provincial offices has been willing to take responsibility for this.”

Residents said it was very frustrating, as Pimpi had gone through all the vetting procedures with the IEC, but was just replaced overnight.

On Friday, ANC provincial spokesman Jabu Mfusi told the media the ANC had used fair criteria to choose candidates but the process could be challenging.

“This period of choosing candidates to be councillors is always challenging but we must emphasise a few issues.

“Ward candidates are chosen by the ANC branches and no one can change that.”

  • Meanwhile, ANC and DA supporters held door-to-door campaigns in Kuyasa on Saturday. This came days after 300 ANC members from the area joined the DA during the week.

DailySun

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY